- 92 guests
1. Le Grand Rex have confirmed that Peter Jackson, Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage will attend the Hobbit premiere on 4th December 2014 in Paris. Richard also confirmed on twitter yesterday with a funny picture.
2. AJ Hartley, co-author of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark: A Novel that Richard narrated, has tweeted a link to an interview he gave about writing, which includes some comments about Richard's impressive performance. Click the link in the tweet to read a transcript and watch the video of the interview.
"I don’t think I had fully understood his range as an actor until I heard what he was doing that one, because a voice actor has to do everything, not just narration, but all the different characters and such. He is terrific, wonderful."
Yesterday Richard tweeted that dates for cinema screenings of The Crucible in Australia and New Zealand have been announced on the TheCrucibleonScreen.com site. Click 'Find a Cinema' in the menu and scroll down to see available dates in February and March 2015.
As announced previously, many cinemas in the UK and Ireland will be showing the play on 4th and 7th December, but there are other December dates available at different cinemas. My local cinema is not listed on TheCrucibleonScreen.com site but it is definitely showing the play, so check your local cinema.
The Crucible will not be shown in USA or Canada due to rights issues - see news 1st November below.
As we already know, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies World Premiere will be in London on 1st December, as announced by the cast on 29 October. Details are emerging of other premieres around the world.
TheOneRing.net have tweeted a rumour that Lee Pace and Luke Evans will attend a premiere of the film in Toronto on 6th December. Another rumour about a premiere in New York on 8th December is unconfirmed.
1. The first TV spot for The Hobbit BOTFA has appeared on YouTube and features a few new shots, including this one of Thorin (click to enlarge):
2. This Friday is the 10th anniversary of the broadcast of North and South episode 1 on BBC1 in the UK and a group watch is being arranged by some fans. Click here for details via their twitter page.
I have added all of Richard's messages posted 2004 - 2013 to the site, which include messages previously received by me in 2008 while I was temporary co-admin of The Armitage Army website (now closed). Read them on the RA messages page. You may also notice that a new widget has been added to the home page showing Richard's twitter feed.
The new trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies has arrived! There are lots of places to watch it depending on whether you prefer YouTube, Facebook or Twitter, but here's the link to Warner Bros UK on YouTube.
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
Screencaps from the trailer are in the gallery.
Lovely message from Richard to Peter, Fran and Philippa here on twitter.
1. The next trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will be released this Thursday at 6pm UK time, which is 10am Pacific US time. The announcement was made by the official Hobbit Movie twitter page yesterday and Deadline Hollywood confirmed the exact timing of the online release.
Accompanying the announcement was a new banner showing the Heirs of Durin: Thorin, Fili and Kili. The Hobbit UK Facebook and The Hobbit Movie US Facebook pages also made the announcement with the new banner, but the banners showed different dates to reflect the UK release date of 12 December and the US release date of 17 December. The banner on the US page is larger so I have added this to the Hobbit Stills gallery, or click below to enlarge:
Details of how referral fees are accrued are here. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for using the Amazon links on the home page of this site. It is not just RA DVDs and audiobooks that will earn referral fees for charity, but ANY ITEM that Amazon sells, so please click on the Amazon logos on the home page for your shopping, or use the RAnet Amazon Stores for RA specific items.
3. The Hobbit twitter account and Facebook page have posted another new banner announcing the release of the new trailer on Thursday. This has also been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery, or click below to enlarge.
4. Thanks to Frances who has left a comment on the home page to say that today Amazon.com has a daily deal on some British TV DVDs, including:
The sale ends tonight at midnight (11:59pm Pacific time on Tuesday, Nov. 4th). To order via this site and earn money for charity, click on the Amazon.com logo on the home page, or click here and start ordering. The RAnet code will be tagged on all subsequent purchases, a referral fee will be earned and I will pay the commission to charity. Thank you!
1. Richard tweeted today to announce that unfortunately The Crucible will not be shown in cinemas in the US due to copyright issues: tweet one, two and three. It should be available for download however, details still to be confirmed. The download will be available via the Digital Theatre website.
2. The photographer for DA MAN magazine, Mitchell Nguyen McCormack, posted another picture of Richard and himself on his Instagram page today. Sorry, it looks like the picture posted in yesterday's news has been removed from Instagram.
Richard will appear in the Dec 2014/Jan 2015 issue and there will be around 10 pages of photos and an interview in the magazine. For details about how to order the digital version, see this useful tweet by Andrew Novialdi who received the information from the editor of the magazine. For print issues, visit their website. The magazine have informed me that a digital copy of the magazine can also be ordered via Zinio or Press Reader. The issue with Richard will appear in early December 2014.
The photographer Mitchell Nguyen McCormack posted a picture of Richard and himself on his Instagram page (update: picture removed).
3. The 2014 Anglophenia fan favourites competition begins tomorrow and they have listed the 32 contenders, including Richard who appears at #1! (What do you mean the list is alphabetical...?)
4. An article in the Scunthorpe Telegraph about Fraser Kelly, states that Urban and the Shed Crew has been submitted for selection at the Cannes Film Festival! I will look out for more news on this and keep fingers crossed that it is successful.
1. Sarah Dunn posted a photo on twitter this morning showing Richard on the set of Sleepwalker in the early hours of the morning eating ice-cream. The picture has been added to the Sleepwalker gallery or click this image to enlarge:
Richard posted a picture of himself and Sarah Dunn on 28 August when she held a photoshoot for the Hobbit with several cast members. Pictures from that photoshoot will be revealed in the next few weeks.
3. The next trailer for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is expected on Thursday 6 November 2014.
4. The first dates outside of the UK and Ireland to see The Crucible in cinemas have appeared on CinemaLive.com (via TheCrucibleOnScreen.com). Click the first link, then scroll down and click 'Australia' for opportunities to watch this play in New South Wales and Queensland. Update: it looks like the dates appeared prematurely as they have been removed.
1. The Telegraph has released a brand new trailer for The Crucible today to announce the forthcoming screenings of the play in cinemas in UK and Ireland on 4th and 7th December. Book your tickets now! For more information about which cinemas will screen the play visit TheCrucibleOnScreen.com. Details of worldwide screenings will also appear on that site and will be posted in the news here too when announced.
Here is the trailer on YouTube:
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
2. Apparently there's a picture of Richard on the wall in Wellington airport! Thanks to Becca on twitter. This was taken in 2012 at The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey world premiere in Wellington, NZ. More pictures like that one in the Hobbit Premieres 2012 Candids gallery.
3. The World Premiere of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will take place in London's Leicester Square on Monday 1st December 2014! The announcement was made by Warner Bros. UK today via a video of five members of the cast: Sir Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, Luke Evans and Orlando Bloom. Watch the video announcement here or below:
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
The film is open for general release in cinemas in the UK on 12th December. The World Premiere will be live-streamed and there will be a chance to win tickets via the Warner Bros UK facebook page.
Here are a few screencaps:
1. If you subscribed to Digital Theatre's mailing list, you will have received an email today with three behind the scenes pictures from The Crucible. One of these pictures shows Richard and Digital Theatre's Creative Producer Fiona Lindsay, and it was also tweeted by Digital Theatre earlier today. I have added this picture to The Crucible gallery.
Richard was interviewed by Fiona Lindsay on 11 September and the interview will eventually be published on their website, but there is no information on a date for the release of the interview yet.
Sign up to Digital Theatre's mailing list by visiting their website. Scroll halfway down the home page and enter your email address next to the picture of Richard as John Proctor.
2. A donation of £113.97 plus gift aid has been made today to the Anthony Nolan Trust, one of the six charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Details of how referral fees are accrued are here. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for using the Amazon links on the home page of this site. It is not just RA DVDs and audiobooks that will earn referral fees for charity, but ANY ITEM that Amazon sells, so please click on the Amazon logos on the home page for your shopping, or use the RAnet Amazon Stores for RA specific items. I am currently running a poll on the left hand side to find out if it is viable to start an RAnet affiliate contract with Amazon France and/or Amazon Canada - please vote if you are interested.
3. Heirs of Durin have posted a scan of the interview with Richard Armitage in the December 2014 issue of Total Film magazine. Click here to read it.
2. A picture has appeared on tumblr of Richard Armitage with The Hobbit co-writer and co-producer Philippa Boyens and Benedict Cumberbatch, presumably taken in New Zealand. I was told on twitter that the source is The Battle of the Five Armies Visual Companion and Movie Guide.
1. I have added a Sleepwalker gallery to the site, containing all photos of Richard that have been posted on twitter from the set so far. Credit is given in the filename.
The main gallery front page has been updated to include an icon representing Sleepwalker. If you are not seeing the new gallery front page then your computer is showing you a cached picture and not the current one. Press F5 when you are looking at the gallery and it should update.
2. The new poll on the left-hand side is to ask whether there are enough visitors to this site who shop at Amazon to warrant setting up Amazon Associate status with Amazon.ca and Amazon.fr. Each contract has to be setup separately and there is a little administration involved in running the Association agreement and billing, however I am happy to do this if there is enough demand. Please vote if you would use this site to generate commission via Amazon.ca or Amazon.fr. Thank you.
The previous poll result about Richard's effect on twitter uptake is here.
2. Robert Delamere has tweeted another photo of Richard as John Proctor from the Digital Theatre cut of The Crucible. A trailer is expected soon and also more information about the worldwide digital release of the play. See the news below on 6 October, 30 September, 11 September and 8 September for other photos from the production.
3. TheOneRing.net have posted 27 new photos from The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Visual Companion. Update: these pictures have been removed from their website after a request from Warner Bros, but the article and comments are still there to read.
1. Lots of behind the scenes clips from The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition are available on Warner Bros UK's YouTube page. Visit The Hobbit Movie's Facebook page for more exclusive clips and a brilliant new air safety video from Air New Zealand.
The digital download of the Extended Edition has been available from some iTunes stores (UK, US, Australia and more) since 21 October. The DVD/Bluray is out 3 November in the UK, 4 November in the US. Other dates vary in other countries.
2. Here's a funny video showing Richard (Thorin) getting the key stuck in the door to Erebor, also from the Extended Edition extra features.
3. Warner Bros India tweeted a new poster for The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday: The Defining Chapter.
4. Elliott Lester tweeted a picture of Richard back on set in Los Angeles on the film Sleepwalker yesterday.
MMGN Australia have released three clips from the extra features of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition. The first two include plenty of shots of Richard.
The digital extended edition will be available worldwide tomorrow. The DVD/Bluray will be released in the UK on 3rd November and in the US on 4 November.
Four pictures of Richard on the set of Sleepwalker have been posted on twitter in the last two days. I will compile all these in a gallery this weekend.
A new Hobbit poster featuring Thorin has been released today from the Huffington Post and now appears in the Hobbit Stills gallery. This picture was originally seen on the tapestry artwork released on 15 September. Note the release date for the UK which is now 12 December instead of 19 December (which changed a while ago but I've only just noticed!). Good news for UK fans!
1. The director of Sleepwalker, Elliott Lester, tweeted a picture of Richard from the last scene of filming today (early hours of Tuesday LA time).
2. Following yesterday's announcement of the screening of The Crucible, The Stage published an article with a notable quote from Cinema Live's chief executive Peter Skillman:
“Digital Theatre’s superbly crafted productions ensure that the cinema environment is the best place to see and hear this fantastic play, where Richard Armitage’s performance will surely go down in history as one of London theatre’s best.”
1. A new website TheCrucibleOnScreen.com has been launched today jointly presented by The Old Vic, Digital Theatre and CinemaLive. The production will be shown in cinemas in the UK and Ireland on 4th and 7th December. Other worldwide showings will be announced soon. Click the links at the top of the website for more information, including 'Find a Cinema' to search for participating cinemas and 'Behind the Scenes' for pictures.
2. Richard announced the release of the production in cinemas with a brand new trailer as seen on the Telegraph's website.
3. Natalie Gavin (Mary Warren in The Crucible) has posted a photo of herself with Richard backstage at The Old Vic on her Facebook page.
1. The director of Sleepwalker, Elliott Lester, tweeted a dark photo earlier today and after a quick edit in Photoshop it's clear to see that it is Richard standing in front of a fireplace. Click the edited image below to enlarge.
Richard tweeted this morning with a compliment about a co-star that we didn't previously know was also working on the film - Hayley Joel Osment.
2. Here is another Richard Armitage interview by a German movie site BZ-Berlin to promote Into the Storm, known as Storm Hunters in Germany. Thanks to Servetus for this English translation. The photo at the bottom of the online article shows Richard at the NY premiere, Monday 4th August 2014.
4. The recording of The Old Vic's production of The Crucible will be shown in cinemas in the UK on 4th and 7th December only - check your local cinema for details. Here is the online information for Cineworld and Showcase cinemas. Hopefully news about broadcasts around the world will appear soon.
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
The Drama channel, which is part of the UKTV network (channel 166 on Sky), is showing North and South episode 1 on 19th October at 4pm.
1. A synopsis of Sleepwalker was published today by The Anglophile Channel - thanks Marlise for this information. Read about Richard's role as Dr Scott White and more here.
2. Today's Digital Theatre mailing list email provided a new picture of Richard and the offer of a free rental from Digital Theatre's catalogue if you sign up to their mailing list here (scroll down, it's towards the bottom of the page). Richard also announced this offer from his twitter page.
3. Thanks to Valentina for the information that Spooks series 7 will air in Italy on 21 October. More details here.
1. Richard tweeted yesterday to confirm that he is in Los Angeles and has begun filming on Sleepwalker directed by Elliott Lester.
2. An announcement in the Swedish site Metro that Izabella Scorupco has joined the cast of Sleepwalker has provided the first bit of information about the film. Thanks to Seb for translating this so quickly for us:
"I play a psychiatrist. It's about a girl who's been going through a trauma and has started to sleepwalk, she has become a sleepwalker. And you're supposed to try and figure out what's happening. I have one of the supporting roles, it's so much fun, Izabella Scorupco tells TT."
3. More pictures of Richard playing John Proctor in The Crucible from the editing suite, courtesy of Robert Delamere of Digital Theatre... this picture posted on 30 September, this one on 4 October and another on 5 October.
1. The September issue of the Finnish film magazine 'Episodi' has a long article about Into the Storm including interviews with Richard and director Steven Quale. These scans are courtesy of Paula and the cover courtesy of another visitor to the site who mentioned that this is the first time Richard's name has appeared on the front of a Finnish film magazine. A translation into English is here, with thanks to Merja.
2. Robert Delamere, co-founder of Digital Theatre, has posted some pictures of Richard performing in The Crucible from the editing suite. This picture from Act Three was posted on 26 September and this one from Act Two yesterday. There is no news yet when this download will be released.
3. Helen O'Hara has written an interesting article for Empire magazine (published 5 September) comparing Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage's performances on stage in London this summer, coming to a wholly positive conclusion: "I'd love to say one was far superior, but the sad fact is that that Peter Jackson guy knew what he was doing when he cast those two."
1. Warner Bros UK have asked for questions for Richard and Luke Evans, who they will be interviewing tomorrow about he Hobbit. The interview will be recorded and a video will appear with other Hobbit promotion later this year. Send your questions to @WarnerBrosUK using the hashtag #TheHobbitAskLuke or #TheHobbitAskRichard in the next 24 hours.
2. The October issue of the German magazine 'Cinema' has a 5 page article about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Thank you to Arianna for these scans. Click to enlarge.
A translation in English is here, with thanks to Servetus.
1. Richard completed the final ADR (additional dialogue recording) for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday in New York. He tweeted a picture from the Soundtrack New York office at around 9.00pm local time and also his reaction to the footage he saw.
2. The current Australian edition of Empire magazine has an article called 'Richard goes Into the Storm' and seven pages on The Hobbit BOTFA for those who are interested. Thanks to tehi for letting us know.
3. Yahoo Movies have published the trailer advertising the extended edition of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The trailer shows some clips from the extra 25 minutes of footage, including a scene with Thrain (Thorin's father) and new footage of Beorn. There are also details of a twitter-related giveaway on that page. The extended edition will be available to download from 21 October and the DVD/Bluray is released on 4 November (although Amazon UK's release date is 3 November).
4. The Career list has been updated by the addition of a new page for The Crucible, which is a compiliaton of all the news I posted on this website before and during the 12 week run of the play, with links to pictures, reviews, interviews and a summary of the whole event.
1. Richard has provided the voiceover on another Barclays Premier league advert, which I have added to the 2014 Adverts page. Thanks to Violet.
2. Kino TV's interview with Richard and Max during the UK press junket for Into the Storm is worth a watch - especially for the comments about Sharknado. Thanks to Sahraobsessed.
3. The Old Vic are auctioning one of their huge Crucible posters signed by the whole cast on ebay. Proceeds from the sale will go towards The Old Vic Theatre Trust, a registered charity.
4. A new poll is on the left-hand side asking about whether Richard's decision to join twitter has influenced your decision to join too. Previous poll results are here.
1. Tapestry artwork for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies has been released on to various online news sites. Here is Digital Spy's announcement with a link to enlarge the image. Similar artwork was produced for the previous two Hobbit movies, as seen in the Hobbit Stills gallery for film 1 and film 2. I have added the new tapestry artwork to the end of the gallery with two close-ups of Thorin.
2. Richard announced on twitter this evening that Into the Storm is number 1 at the box office in China!
After a momentous 12 week run, the last performance of The Crucible was held at The Old Vic last night to a packed house and with a long standing ovation from the audience. Richard marked the occasion by tweeting the following: "Good night and thank you for all your support @oldvictheatre #TheCrucible". The video in that tweet is disabled, so he posted again with a working video from @AnglophileTV: "My thanks to @oldvictheatre @yfarber #TheCrucible @DigitalTheatre @AnglophileTV A summer to remember".
The footage in the video took place on Tuesday 9 September, the last performance that the director Yaël Farber was able to watch as she is currently in Harvard having delivered a speech entitled 'The Power of Truth.' Follow her timeline on twitter for more information about the conference she is attending. Ms Farber tweeted her response to her final viewing on the morning of the 10th, here.
For those who missed previous news, the performance was filmed (hurray!) so we will all be able to enjoy a download soon. I will post news here of its availability as soon as it is announced by Digital Theatre.
For the full list of questions and answers from Richard's twitter Q&A with @OldVicTheatre held today, plus he Crucible irector Yaël Farber's response to one of those questions, click here. Richard also reveals what is coming up next for him...
1. As mentioned in the news on 2nd September, Richard will do a twitter Q&A tomorrow, answering your questions submitted via twitter using the hashtag #AskArmitage. The Old Vic tweeted today that it will take place at 5pm (UK time).
2. Film and TV Now have published the second part of their twitter transcription of the RA Conversation held on 2nd September. This transcript is edited, for example when talking about visiting Salem, I remember that Richard also talked about taking photographs of the cot in Rebecca Nurse's house and other photographs. For more details from this conversation, please see my RA in Conversation page on this site.
3. Another photograph was tweeted yesterday from Richard as a farewell to the Old Vic. Here he is with stage door manager Ned Seago. Ned runs the History tours at the Old Vic, which I'm looking forward to attending in a couple of days.
4. Richard told us today that he was interviewed by Fiona Lindsay for Digital Theatre.
5. Various pictures from the filming of The Crucible have appeared on twitter from staff of Digital Theatre. This picture from @CecileBvd shows the gallery while filming was taking place. The co-founder of Digital Theatre, Tom Shaw, posted this picture of a camera and the stage. Robert Delamere, also a co-founder, shared this picture of Crucible director Yaël Farber in discussion with Adrian Schiller (Rev. Hale).
1. Into the Storm is now available to pre-order on DVD or Blu-ray. I have added it to the three RichardArmitageNet Amazon Stores (UK, US, Germany) on the home page of this site - look for the RAnet store links under each Amazon logo in the middle of the page. If you pre-order using these links, Amazon will pay this site a small commission which I will pay to charity.The DVD is expected to be released in December 2014.
The Into the Storm soundtracks are also available to buy now - click the 'Soundtracks' category on the right-hand side when you open the RAnet Amazon store.
2. A donation of £97.82 plus gift aid has been made today to the Young Minds Trust, one of the six charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Details of how referral fees are accrued are here. Thank you so much for using the links to Amazon UK, US and DE on the home page of this site.
3. Richard told us he will be posting pictures from the Old Vic as a farewell now that we are in the last week of The Crucible performances. The first picture was posted overnight, showing himself and Ola, ever-reliable and collector of presents, the friendly security chap.
4. On 28 August, an interview was published on the Italian site Best Movie after interviewing Richard about Into the Storm during the UK press junket. He talks about having to leave New York City when Hurricaine Sandy hit the city in 2012. Thanks to Claire and Alessio for this English translation.
5. 13 more pictures have been added to the Hobbit Stills gallery from page 7 row 3 onwards, with many thanks to Ingrid and the farfarawaysite.com (have a look on this site for other Hobbit/LOTR pictures and also Robin Hood). The last picture on page 8 is very large - click 'original image' to see the full size (click again to zoom).
1. Congratulations to Susan Day for winning the signed programme and prop from The Crucible! Thank you very much to all who entered and to those of you who left me a message, it was lovely to read them all, thank you. We had over 400 entries and I'm very grateful to the person who has donated these items.
3. Sarah Dunn has posted a new photo of Richard on her Facebook page, which was taken in late 2013. There are three pictures in total on her website. Scroll through using the buttons underneath the first photo. Previous news articles about Sarah Dunn's photography are in the News Archive 2014 (28th April, 2nd March, 13th February) and in the News Archive 2013 (21st December).
1. Congratulations to Felicia for winning a front row seat to see The Crucible's evening performance on Tuesday 9th September. This production will be filmed for Digital Theatre as those sitting in the first two rows have been contacted to ask if they would wear dark colours. Click the Digital Theatre link and sign up to their news feed (scroll down the page) for an announcement about when the film will be released.
2. The competition to win a signed copy of the programme for The Crucible signed by Richard Armitage and Samantha Colley, plus a piece of the arrest warrant for Elizabeth Proctor, will close tomorrow (Monday) at 9.00am UK time.
1. The Old Vic have made the announcement we were all hoping for - their production of The Crucible will be filmed and will be available to download and watch online worldwide. It will also be shown in selected cinemas. Online and cinema release dates will be announced later in the year. You can sign up to receive further announcements from the Digital Theatre website. Note: I have updated this link as they have added a special Crucible sign up box on the home page.
2. As soon as the filming announcement was made, Richard launched the competition he mentioned yesterday, to suggest muted clothing that the audience could wear in the first two rows. The winner will receive a signed programme. I'm guessing ideas don't have to be particularly serious! Check out his twitter feed for the tweets that followed, as I couldn't possibly describe the pictures - too funny!
The Old Vic haven't announced which performance or performances will be filmed yet, stay tuned to their twitter feed and the Digital Theatre mailing list for more news. I'll post news here too of course.
3. Film and TV Now have published an excellent article with direct quotes from Richard and also a transcript (part 1 so far) plus audio! I found this just after re-editing my RA in Conversation page this afternoon with help from some friends of the site - credited at the end. I guess this is not needed now so I will archive soon, but I am grateful for the feedback as I know many of you were desperate to know what he said. Thank you for the kind emails too.
1. HatchMansfield.com have published an article showing Richard signing a jeroboam of Champagne Taittinger. This might be the bottle that was given away in the Old Vic's competition (news 25th July below), although the article refers to a fundraising auction next year so perhaps he signed two bottles. Here is a link to the PDF annoucement with a bigger picture.
2. Richard has tweeted that there will be an announcement from the Old Vic today and also a competition from himself. No news yet...
3. A new competition has been launched today to offer a free front row seat to see The Crucible on Tuesday 9th September, donated by a generous visitor to the site whose friend can no longer attend. Please click the link to find out how to enter and please read the terms and conditions. This competition closes on Sunday 7th September at 6.00pm (UK time). Good luck!
4. And still more competition news... the competition announced on 31 August below, to win a signed copy of the programme for The Crucible signed by Richard Armitage and Samantha Colley, plus a piece of the arrest warrant for Elizabeth Proctor is ongoing until Monday 9.00am (UK time), especially for those not able to see the play.
1. The conversation with Richard Armitage takes place at the Old Vic today. I was told at the end of the July that there were no plans to have the event filmed, but I will be attending and will write up as much as I can remember and will make every effort to post on this site this evening if I can.
Update: you can read my account of the conversation here. Lots of paraphrasing...trying to recall accurately. I tried my best! (Hopefully there will be a video and then I can delete/edit this).
I keep adding bits by the way as I remember them. I'll probably add even more tomorrow.
2. Thanks to Iseult and Susan for allowing me to add their candid pictures from the Old Vic stage door, taken 9th July 2014. The Crucible Stage Door gallery is now in chronological order with the date on each file name - the new pictures are #33-35 in the gallery and they include some lovely pictures of signed props. Many thanks to these ladies for sharing the photos with us. Credit is given in the file name of each photo.
A tip for using my gallery: did you know that you can let a slideshow run through the whole gallery without needing to click your mouse? Every gallery on this site has a button with an arrow pointing right in the top right corner. Click this arrow to start the slideshow, or double-click it to set the number of seconds before the slide changes to another picture. Press OK and sit back and watch.
3. Richard tweeted his thanks minutes after the 'conversation' finished this evening. As a follow up to this event, the Old Vic are hosting a live Q&A on twitter on Friday 12th September. To submit a question, tweet it using the hashtag #AskArmitage. You won't need to tag Richard or the Old Vic in your tweet - save characters and just use the hashtag.
Not able to see The Crucible live? Here is a competition you might like to enter...win a signed copy of the programme for The Crucible, signed by Richard Armitage and Samantha Colley, plus a piece of the arrest warrant for Elizabeth Proctor!
This competition is open to anyone in the world, and ideally, the very kind anonymous donor and I would prefer it if the winner was someone who has not been able to see the play. For those who have seen the play, please be kind and allow another person to share in the experience that we were lucky enough to witness.
One email per person please. Check you have the right answer too!
1. Richard was photographed by Sarah Dunn again yesterday for a Hobbit-related photoshoot. He posted a picture of himself and Sarah Dunn on twitter and also with Ian McKellen who was there too. See news on 14th May 2014 below for more info about previous photoshoots with Sarah Dunn.
2. Richard Hammarton, who composed the music for The Crucible, has shared another of the tracks from the production on Soundcloud. 'Ash' was mentioned in the news below on 15th August, and now the opening sequence of music has been added, simply called 'The Crucible'. Click the link to listen. He is hoping to make the entire soundtrack available for download and does not intend to sell it - stated on this tweet.
3. In yesterday's news, I linked to Michael Thomas' Just Giving page after he completed the ice bucket challenge. Scroll down that page to see a new picture that has been added showing Michael Thomas, Richard Armitage and Michael's stem cell donor and partner.
4. A donation of £104.04 plus gift aid has been made today to the Anthony Nolan Trust, one of the six charities Richard has nominated on JustGiving.com. Details of how referral fees are accrued are here. Thank you so much for using the links to Amazon UK, US and DE on the home page of this site.
5. Due to popular demand, 10 more jigsaws have been added. Sorry for the long delay.
1. One of the other cast members of The Crucible has completed the ice bucket challenge outside the stage door today, between this afternoon's matinee performance and the evening performance. Michael Thomas, who plays Reverend Parris, accepted the challenge in aid of the Anthony Nolan Trust, which is one of the charities that Richard has recently added to his JustGiving page. It is worth reading the dedication on Michael Thomas' Just Giving page to find out why this challenge is particularly poignant. Video of the challenge is here, thanks to Kaprekar on twitter.
2. A new Into the Storm interview with Richard and Max Deacon has appeared on the Israeli news site Ynet. Thanks to Arfan for the link.
3. Update: apologies, the new pictures have been removed from their blog. The Anglophile Channel have uncovered some pictures from the Jay Brooks photoshoot for The Crucible showing Richard as John Proctor. The 'tonight' in the title of the blog refers to Tuesday night's performance, but please note that the phone lines at the Old Vic are no longer open for returns. Return tickets might be available if bought in person on the day of the performance. This information provided by the Old Vic twitter page.
Richard has added the two charities he mentioned during the Ice Bucket Challenge to his JustGiving page, making that 6 charities in total. Here is a link to one of the tweets he sent this afternoon (UK time). Already the donations have been coming in thick and fast - you are all so incredibly generous! I have added links to each of the 6 pages on the home page under the Amazon logos.
If you are not on twitter, you can still read his twitter feed. It's very entertaining!
1. Last night outside the stage door of the Old Vic, Richard accepted the Ice Bucket challenge for ALSA.org but also for AnthonyNolan.org and YoungMinds.org.uk. Here is the official video from The Anglophile Channel who nominated him. Two other videos from different angles are here and here.
2. In this article by Tim Morehouse on the Huffington Post site, Richard gives his reasons for joining twitter.
Richard has joined twitter! Happy Birthday Richard!
A reminder that today is the last day to leave a birthday message for Richard as the page will close for new comments at 9pm tonight (UK time). Scroll down the page to leave a message in the comments box. Thank you for all your lovely messages, I will pass them on.
1. Digitial Spy's Into the Storm interview with Richard and Max in London asks a great question at the start about which Hobbit stars Richard would want to take into a storm. At the end of the interview Richard teases that he has a cameo role in a soon to be released film...is that cameo for a film based on a popular British TV series that has currently been filming in London - thoughts?
For info, comments on this site are most commonly left on the home page (see the 'Write Comment' link just above the 'News' heading) as it is easy to reply to other's comments there, or you can leave messages in the guestbook if you wish. Thanks.
2. RTE's interview from the same UK press junket is good fun, Max suggesting that he had a major influence over Richard's performance as John Proctor.
Screencaps from the Andrew Marr interview (20th July) and the Canada AM interview (1st August) have been added to the Interviews gallery. This page is in chronological order.
1. More candid pictures have been added to The Crucible Stage Door gallery from Armitagina, Let, Lisa and @Haldirs_Bow from twitter. Many thanks to these ladies for sharing the photos with us. Credit is given in the file name of each photo.
2. Geek Town interviewed Richard and Max in London - nothing new in this video interview, but it is a nice interview.
1. The Hindu have posted an excellent new interview with Richard that has taken place recently, judging by the comment that after the interview he was about to leave to do another performance of The Crucible. There is nothing new in the interview regarding promotion for Into the Storm, but lots to think about regarding future roles: “I feel changed by this role, and it’ll be interesting to see how my work changes after” and the comment at the end of the article: 'Similarly, I speculate, there must be a once-in-a-lifetime role his heart desires. “Ye-es, there is,” he replies after a pause, “and I may have just auditioned for it.”'
2. In Richard and Max's recent British press junket, they were also interviewed by HeyUGuys. This is a good fun interview where Richard coins the phrase 'found footish' and there's a joke about a sequel in London involving a red telephone box.
3. Another amusing interview from the same press junket, with Yahoo Movies UK & Ireland.
4. Conn Jackson interviewed Richard from London at the same time as several other interviews (including the Canada AM interview, news below 1st Aug, #1). Again Richard talks about acting with a wind machine, working with green screen and his character's story, and a different question on what he has learned in the last couple of years regarding his career (i.e. the art of Zen)!
5. According to Jason Chamberlain at 411mania.com, Richard is reason number 8 to love the Hobbit movies: "an Englishman who could become a leading man in his own right after these films are done. His performance as the honorable yet prideful Thorin has been very well crafted. He has shown Thorin's longing for his homeland and how it ever so gradually becomes a lust for power and wealth of his own."
6. High quality promotional pictures from Warner Bros have been sent to this site and added to the Into the Storm gallery. The four images on this page of the gallery are all new. Click on the thumbnails to view and then click 'original image' to see the full HQ size.
7. The composer of the music for The Crucible, Richard Hammarton, has shared one of the tracks from the production on Soundcloud. The title 'Ash' plays at the start of the third act when black ash was falling on to the stage. The music will give you an impression of the atmosphere of the production for those who are not able to see it, and remind others of the ominous and eerie tone that the music evoked. Those violin notes were repeated often throughout the play.
8. PCM World interviewed Richard about Into the Storm when he was in NYC on the 4th August. There are some different answers to the usual questions about this film so it is worth a read. Apparently Richard decided to make sure Gary ran differently from the way Richard usually runs, and he enjoyed making sure the director didn't stay warm and dry at the end of a day's shooting!
1. The Weather Channel interviewed Richard Armitage and Sarah Waynes Callies on the day of the world premiere in New York. Watch the clip on Wake up with Al.
2. Crucible Stage Door photos have been added to the Candids gallery showing pictures of Richard meeting theatre-goers after the show. Many thanks to Aprilsviolet, Claudia, JulieS and Thoriness for donating these pictures. Click 'original image' to see the full size.
1. A reminder that a competition to win a ticket to see The Crucible on Friday 12 September has been launched and will close next Saturday at 9am (UK time). I will be posting the ticket to the winner from my home in the UK, so if you enter the competition please consider that it must arrive to you in time and if you live overseas it might be beneficial to provide me with a UK address. Good luck!
2. Urblife.com's interview with Richard talking about Into the Storm and commenting on the US audience reaction: "I live here now and I’d like to work here more. It’s just another area to explore. I love the culture here; I love the differences between all of the states. I think that’s something to be nurtured."
3. Cover art for The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Visual Companion has been posted on twitter, with thanks to @Pryftan. It features Thorin in full armour. Click below to enlarge or visit the Hobbit Stills gallery for these pictures and other images from all three films.
4. There are some superb high quality photographs on the Monsters and Critics site showing Richard and other cast members at the Into the Storm world premiere. Richard appears on pages 1, 2, 9, 14, 15 and 16. Thanks to on twitter.
5. The Movie Bit are offering preview tickets for The Gate, in Cork, Ireland for 19th August to see Into the Storm. Click here to enter. Thanks to sahraobsessed.
1. A visitor to this site can no longer attend the performance of The Crucible at 7.30pm on Friday 12 September and has generously donated her ticket, saying "I don't want anything for it, just the knowledge that someone will enjoy and benefit from it and get the chance to see Richard in the flesh!" So...I have set-up a giveaway competition. Enter before Saturday 16th August 9am (UK time), make sure you will be able to pay your travel costs and attend on that evening, and also that the ticket will arrive in time (in case I have to post it overseas) and good luck!
2. Here are some more videos from the Into the Storm black carpet:
3. This interview by Kristen of The Daily Buzz took place on Friday 1st August in London, the same time as the Canada AM interview (news below 1st Aug, #1) and The Morning Show's interview (news below 5th Aug, #7).
4. Richard and Sarah Wayne Callies talked to Yahoo Canada on Monday 4th, the day of the world premiere in New York. Thanks to cassiopeia2006 for uploading to YouTube.
5. Into the Storm reviews. I won't be posting a long list of reviews for this film because there are dozens of them and it's fair to say the reviews do not make for easy reading. (If a review appears that is quite extraordinary it might get a mention). Here's two of the more positive from the bunch:
6. Abby's interviews with other cast and crew interviews at the Into the Storm world premiere are available now on YouTube. Some fabulous funny clips from the lady herself too. Enjoy!
7. Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies and Steven Quale appeared on the SiriusXM radio station on Monday 4th August. Listen to the audio. Sarah posted this picture on her Instagram during the recording and the Getty site have 6 pictures from the SiriusXM studio.
2. Marlise Boland of The Anglophile Channel asked other cast members and the producer Todd Garner what it was like working with Richard. The answers are in this video. I really like Nathan Kress' response to this and our Abby appears at the end.
3. The Richard Armitage US Facebook page were also represented at the Into the Storm premiere. Their first video showing other cast members is here.
4. Watch this video clip from Fox News for their report from the Into the Storm black carpet.
5. The result of the Old Vic's competition to win a signed bottle of champagne has been announced. This competition was first mentioned in the news below on 25th July. Congratulations to Jamie!
6. "This movie doesn’t take itself too seriously, and that’s a very good thing". Read Abby's review of Into the Storm for RichardArmitageNet.
1. Well Abby did an incredible job of behalf of my site in the press tent at the Into the Storm premiere, sending me tons of raw video footage that I need to edit together including a lovely funny interview with Richard and interviews with other cast and crew members.
Update: Here is our interview with Richard at the Into the Storm premiere last night! Thank you to Abby and Rosalie for doing a fantastic job. Another video will be posted soon, showing interviews with the rest of the cast and other special clips courtesy of Abby and Rosalie. There are lots of funny clips that I can't wait to share with you - just a bit of editing to do first!
4. Two pages of press pictures are on the Getty site from last night's Into the Storm New York premiere.
5. BigNewsNetwork.com have posted an interview that took place yesterday with Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies and Steven Quale. Richard says there was more time to rehearse than you might normally expect when filming a movie:
"because we had a lot of long takes in the film, we spent a lot more time rehearsing scenes before we actually starting shooting them. And that was when we had this great collaborative effort with everybody, including the camera operator, myself, the actors and we really got a sense of what felt real for the characters "
6. Marlise Boland's interview with Richard at the premiere is here on YouTube.
7. Updated: Richard appeared on The Morning Show on Global News in Canada today. Watch the video here. Thanks to @LadyCharlotte79 on twitter.
8. This interview in The Columbus Dispatch took place in London during the recent Into the Storm press junket. There is also a brief comment about The Hobbit at the end.
9. A press release received from Warner Bros today has announced the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug extended edition on Bluray and DVD, which will be released on 3rd November with a digital HD release in late October. The extended edition features 25 minutes of extra footage and more than 9 hours of new special features, including:
The Extended Edition is already available to pre-order from Amazon, so I will add it to the RAnet Amazon stores later today. Here is a packshot image, click to enlarge:
10. Here is a new clip from The Desolation of Smaug from the extended edition. I'm glad this has been included as I remember a very similar scene in the book!
11. Julie from RichardArmitageCentral was standing next to our Abby in the press tent at the Into the Storm premiere last night. Here is her video interview with Richard.
12. ScreenCrush have published their interview with Richard about Into the Storm. This is the first interview where Richard discusses his character name change, which appears to have happened without his knowledge as we suspected! There is also discussion of The Hobbit and his role in Star Wars. The picture used has appeared online a few times as an example of Richard's appearance in the film, although I stubbornly maintain it is not him and feel that these pictures actually show him (well definitely the first one anyway - spot the guy in the yellow hat).
1. This evening at the AMC Lincoln Square, NYC, the world premiere of Into the Storm is taking place. All of the main cast members including Richard will be there as well as the director Steven Quale and producer Todd Garner. I'm pleased to say that I also have a representative there on behalf of this website and with any luck there will be photos and video from the event posted on the site tomorrow.
2. Richard and Sarah Wayne Callies appeared on EITM (Elliot in the Morning) today, a radio show on WWDC-FM in Washington, D.C.and on WRXL in Richmond, Virginia. Watch the video announcement. RichardArmitageCentral have kindly recorded the interview as it could only be heard in the US - listen here.
3. A new interview with Richard about Into the Storm has been published in the Manila Bulletin. There are lots of thoughtful responses about this genre of film and what audiences might take away from watching it:
'In the end, he hopes that “audiences come away with a certain elevated heart rate” after watching the movie, adding that some might simply “enjoy a good disaster movie” while others might give more thought to social media or climate change. “It’s not a film that’s designed to do that but it would be perfect if it did.”'
4. Trailer Addict have posted an interview recorded with Richard Armitage and Max Deacon in London on 21st July. There are a few spoilers in this interview.
1. Richard is due to appear on Canadian TV again in the next few days, although we don't know exactly which day yet. The Morning Show have posted this video with the announcement.
2. This short interview by AMHQ on The Weather Channel with Richard obviously took place on Friday 1st in London at the same time as the Canada AM interview. Thanks to sahraobsessed. Also here on YouTube.
2. The birthday messages page is now open if you would like to leave a message for Richard's birthday on 22nd August 2014. Scroll down the page to leave a message. Please note this page will be closed for new messages at 9pm (UK) on Tuesday 19th August. As with previous years, these messages will be forwarded to Richard's agent.